iptables compile error

S. Martinez at2marty at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 04:09:13 PST 2008

I am having problems compiling iptables.

First of all, I am using a new install of LFS 6.3 via the Live CD.  I am
working on two different computers and having the same issue on both.  I
did do the automated jhalfs build on both (for LFS), and have tried to
retrace to see if there might be an issue with that (the install(s) went
fine with the exception of the kernel which I did manually).

The version of BLFS that I am using is 6.2.0.

The problem that I am getting is as follows.  I entered the commands as
stated in the book, and get the following two errors when compiling.

Unable to resolve dependency on linux/netfilter_ipv4/ip_conntrack.h  Try
'make clean'
Unable to resolve dependency on linux/netfilter_ipv4/ip_nat_rule.h  Try
'make clean'

On the first computer, I thought that maybe I was having problems due to
my using a newer kernel than the original.  (LFS kernel=2.6.22.5)  My
kernel=2.6.23.12

My first thought was maybe there was a conflict because the
KERN_DIR=/usr part of the command points to the sanitized headers in
/usr rather than the kernel source headers from my running kernel, so I
changed that parameter to KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux-2.6.23.12 and still
got the same error.

I then  rebooted to my original kernel from the book, tried again and
still got the same results.

Next I tried it again on the second computer that still has the original
LFS kernel, and still got the same thing.

Finally, I downloaded the latest version of iptables, and still no change.

I'm not sure where to look next.