xorg 7.3

Shawn sks at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 30 20:34:38 PDT 2007

On September 30, 2007 11:18:48 Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 02:07:32PM -0600, Shawn wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > Maybe the blfs gurus will find this helpfull.
> > I've been running xorg 7.3 for a couple of weeks now without any major
> > problems.
>
>  Well, I don't claim to be a blfs guru, but I wish this hadn't been
> held up in the mail queue (the server was rebooted yesterday, and
> some old support mail arrived in my mbox this afternoon).   I'm now
> in 7.3, but it took me several hours to decide what to upgrade.
>
> > Some prerequisites I'm using are:
> >  lfs-stable as my base,
> > Mesa-7.0.1,
> > drm from the base kernel,
Oops, dri.
> > libdrm-2.3.0,
> > xkeyboard-config-1.0,
>
>  I got the (reissued) 1.1
Yes, same here.

> > fontconfig-2.4.2
> >
> > Immediately I noticed that font rendering must have been improved. Even
> > the stock fonts from xorg look good now.
> >
> > One irritating problem I had was with my keyboard. The leds did not work
> > for CAPS/NUM/SCROLL lock. If somebody else has this problem, you can find
> > my patch on the the xorg mailing list. I hope the patch will work with
> > other keyboards besides the xorg default.
>
>  Any slightly more detailed pointers ?  Running google from lynx
> isn't always wonderful, and so far all I can find is lots of people
> saying 'me too' for the non-working LEDs (and yes, mine don't work
> either).
>
>  For me, the build problem was the new dependency on pixman>=0.9.5
> for xorg-server-1.4 : pixman's configure script tests for
> pkg-config, so I've added it to my build after that.
When the xserver compile crashed on pixman, I downloaded whatever pixman was
current in the git tree, which was 0.9.5. I added it just before xorg-server.

> > Attached is my wget file for the libs directory. It is in the build order
> > I used to get it all working. Also attached is my build script. It can be
> > used to build each directory in the xorg release (e.g. ./build lib). The
> > build script does not build prerequisites and it assumes the wget files
> > and sources are available. Anyway it is a toy to play around with.
> >
> > Happy compiling,
> > Shawn
>
> Comments on the lib versions, mainly because the xorg 7.3 src
I got all my sources from the src tree except xcb and pixman.

> directory doesn't seem to all be up to date:
> > libXau-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> > libXdmcp-1.0.2.tar.bz2
> > libxcb-1.0.tar.bz2
I did not pay too much attention to xcb. I actually considered leaving it out
completely as I am not sure where it is used.
> > xtrans-1.0.4.tar.bz2
>
>  so, there is more than one order which works!  I have xtrans,
> libXau, libXdmcp, libX11, ...  - my last library used to be
> libXxf86vm (so, we have some other differences about what goes
> where),  I added libpthread-stubs, libxcb, xcb-util at the end.

I used blfs-dev as a guide to the build order. However, when I started to
build the libs, I did so in alphabetical order. I started this way because my
my wget files were built from the html of the xorg download page. When a lib
failed to build. I moved it to the bottom of the list. Perhaps this
simplistic way of building missed some non-fatal prereqs.

> > libX11-1.1.3.tar.bz2
> > libXext-1.0.2.tar.bz2
>
>  I've been using 1.0.3 with 7.2 for a while
>
> > libFS-1.0.0.tar.bz2
> > libICE-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> > libSM-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> > libXScrnSaver-1.1.2.tar.bz2
> > libXt-1.0.4.tar.bz2
>
>  again, I'm using 1.0.5
>
> > libXTrap-1.0.0.tar.bz2
> > libXmu-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> > libXp-1.0.0.tar.bz2
> > libXpm-3.5.7.tar.bz2
> > libXaw-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> > liboldX-1.0.1.tar.bz2
>
>  I've dropped liboldX, it seems to be for _really_ old apps.
I am not sure what all these libs do, so I kept this one for completeness.

> > libXfixes-4.0.3.tar.bz2
> > libXrender-0.9.4.tar.bz2
> > libXrandr-1.2.2.tar.bz2
> > libXcursor-1.1.9.tar.bz2
> > libXcomposite-0.4.0.tar.bz2
> > libXdamage-1.0.4.tar.bz2
>
>  I'm using 1.1
>
> > libXevie-1.0.2.tar.bz2
> > libfontenc-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> > libXfont-1.3.1.tar.bz2
> > libXfontcache-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> > libXft-2.1.12.tar.bz2
> > libXi-1.1.3.tar.bz2
> > libXres-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> > libXtst-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> > libXv-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> > libXvMC-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> > libXxf86dga-1.0.2.tar.bz2
> > libXxf86misc-1.0.1.tar.bz2
> > libXxf86vm-1.0.1.tar.bz2
> > libdmx-1.0.2.tar.bz2
> > liblbxutil-1.0.1.tar.bz2
>
>  I dropped liblbxutil for 7.2, I think it is now unsupported.
>
> > libxkbfile-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> > libxkbui-1.0.2.tar.bz2
> > libXprintUtil-1.0.1.tar.bz2
> > libXprintAppUtil-1.0.1.tar.bz2
>
>  I ignore Xprint, but YMMV
Again, I built it for completeness. I don't use it.

> > libXinerama-1.0.2.tar.bz2
>
>  Other versions that seem to me to be out of date in the xorg 7.3
> src directories -
>
> xev - I have 1.0.2
> xlsfonts - I have 1.0.2
> xf86-input-evdev - I have 1.1.5
The evdev from the source tree did not compile for me without a minor change
to the source. When I rebuilt X, evdev was left out.

>  On a related matter, xf86-video-ati-6.7.194 seems to be working
> well with the above (radeon 9200se), but it's probably a bit early
> to say it is ok, at the moment all I've run is fluxbox, urxvt,
> xclock, glxgears, xcalc.  I only mention this because I found it
> impossible to find any sensible way of working out which was the
> correct driver for the 7.3 release - both recent 6.6 and 6.7 are
> labelled as development.
I'm using the above driver too (radeon 9600). I have not pushed it too hard.
It has been fine under normal usage with kde.  Unfortunately, with this card,
my acceleration drops down to XAA. I will need to go back to my nvidia card
to get drm.

Shawn