xorg 7.3

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 30 10:18:48 PDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 02:07:32PM -0600, Shawn wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Maybe the blfs gurus will find this helpfull.
> I've been running xorg 7.3 for a couple of weeks now without any major
> problems.

 Well, I don't claim to be a blfs guru, but I wish this hadn't been
held up in the mail queue (the server was rebooted yesterday, and
some old support mail arrived in my mbox this afternoon).   I'm now
in 7.3, but it took me several hours to decide what to upgrade.

> Some prerequisites I'm using are:
>  lfs-stable as my base,
> Mesa-7.0.1,
> drm from the base kernel,
> libdrm-2.3.0,
> xkeyboard-config-1.0,
 I got the (reissued) 1.1
> fontconfig-2.4.2
>
> Immediately I noticed that font rendering must have been improved. Even the
> stock fonts from xorg look good now.
>
> One irritating problem I had was with my keyboard. The leds did not work for
> CAPS/NUM/SCROLL lock. If somebody else has this problem, you can find my
> patch on the the xorg mailing list. I hope the patch will work with other
> keyboards besides the xorg default.

 Any slightly more detailed pointers ?  Running google from lynx
isn't always wonderful, and so far all I can find is lots of people
saying 'me too' for the non-working LEDs (and yes, mine don't work
either).

 For me, the build problem was the new dependency on pixman>=0.9.5
for xorg-server-1.4 : pixman's configure script tests for
pkg-config, so I've added it to my build after that.

> Attached is my wget file for the libs directory. It is in the build order I
> used to get it all working. Also attached is my build script. It can be used
> to build each directory in the xorg release (e.g. ./build lib). The build
> script does not build prerequisites and it assumes the wget files and sources
> are available. Anyway it is a toy to play around with.
>
> Happy compiling,
> Shawn
Comments on the lib versions, mainly because the xorg 7.3 src
directory doesn't seem to all be up to date:

> libXau-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> libXdmcp-1.0.2.tar.bz2
> libxcb-1.0.tar.bz2
> xtrans-1.0.4.tar.bz2
 so, there is more than one order which works!  I have xtrans,
libXau, libXdmcp, libX11, ...  - my last library used to be
libXxf86vm (so, we have some other differences about what goes
where),  I added libpthread-stubs, libxcb, xcb-util at the end.

> libX11-1.1.3.tar.bz2
> libXext-1.0.2.tar.bz2
 I've been using 1.0.3 with 7.2 for a while
> libFS-1.0.0.tar.bz2
> libICE-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> libSM-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> libXScrnSaver-1.1.2.tar.bz2
> libXt-1.0.4.tar.bz2
 again, I'm using 1.0.5
> libXTrap-1.0.0.tar.bz2
> libXmu-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> libXp-1.0.0.tar.bz2
> libXpm-3.5.7.tar.bz2
> libXaw-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> liboldX-1.0.1.tar.bz2
 I've dropped liboldX, it seems to be for _really_ old apps.
> libXfixes-4.0.3.tar.bz2
> libXrender-0.9.4.tar.bz2
> libXrandr-1.2.2.tar.bz2
> libXcursor-1.1.9.tar.bz2
> libXcomposite-0.4.0.tar.bz2
> libXdamage-1.0.4.tar.bz2
 I'm using 1.1
> libXevie-1.0.2.tar.bz2
> libfontenc-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> libXfont-1.3.1.tar.bz2
> libXfontcache-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> libXft-2.1.12.tar.bz2
> libXi-1.1.3.tar.bz2
> libXres-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> libXtst-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> libXv-1.0.3.tar.bz2
> libXvMC-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> libXxf86dga-1.0.2.tar.bz2
> libXxf86misc-1.0.1.tar.bz2
> libXxf86vm-1.0.1.tar.bz2
> libdmx-1.0.2.tar.bz2
> liblbxutil-1.0.1.tar.bz2
 I dropped liblbxutil for 7.2, I think it is now unsupported.
> libxkbfile-1.0.4.tar.bz2
> libxkbui-1.0.2.tar.bz2
> libXprintUtil-1.0.1.tar.bz2
> libXprintAppUtil-1.0.1.tar.bz2
 I ignore Xprint, but YMMV
> libXinerama-1.0.2.tar.bz2

 Other versions that seem to me to be out of date in the xorg 7.3
src directories -

xev - I have 1.0.2
xlsfonts - I have 1.0.2
xf86-input-evdev - I have 1.1.5

 On a related matter, xf86-video-ati-6.7.194 seems to be working
well with the above (radeon 9200se), but it's probably a bit early
to say it is ok, at the moment all I've run is fluxbox, urxvt,
xclock, glxgears, xcalc.  I only mention this because I found it
impossible to find any sensible way of working out which was the
correct driver for the 7.3 release - both recent 6.6 and 6.7 are
labelled as development.

 Thanks for the details.

ĸen