directfb

Barry Loo barry.loo5966 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 09:44:15 PDT 2007

Directfb is a minimal X substitute that requires several hundred
_fewer_ packages to be built ( and maintain in the blfs book ).  I'm
actually requesting that directfb be added to the blfs book--I think
it would benefit many users besides me.

I will eventually contact the directfb and gtk+-directfs myself and
figure out how to build them from source.  I posted to this list
before doing so for three reasons: first, ya'll are the build from
source experts; second, it would make blfs better for everyone; third,
back in the blfs 5.xsomthin' days, directfb build intructions did
exist.

But in answer to your question:
1) My build is based on several versions of lfs, blfs, diy_linux, my
own scripts ( including my own patches and sed fixes ), and build
instructions I found online
2) On my last attempt I couldn't build pango--it didn't detect that I
had glib or cairo on my system ( on earlier attempts I made it to the
actual directfb build; but, I don't recall the error )
3) Yes, in addition to '2)' above, I can't figure out exactly what
those dependencies are.  Let me clarify: on
www.directfb.org/wiki/index.php/Projects:GTK_on_DirectFB   a tutorial
is written describing how to build from _source_; however, those
instructions require running apt-get to get the source and the binary
packages needed to install them.  And there is something about
_developer tools_, too.
3.5) In preemtive response to a possible future question, I'm using
the newest stable versions of atk, cairo, glib, and pango ( not
necessarily the versions from blfs ).
4) Yes, along with fusion

Loo