X over SSH not working?

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 08:02:56 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I need some help to point me in the right direction here:

I have built a home server based on LFS6.3 and some BLFS including
xorg-7.2. All works fine and dandy on the local console.

My main desktop machine is Ubuntu 7.04. I can connect to "other" servers
using ssh (such as the Debian Etch managed virtual machine that hosts
all our web sites etc) and successfully run remote X applications on my
Ubuntu desktop.

However, when I ssh into my new LFS/BLFS server I keep getting the
dreaded "Error: Can't open display:".

I've checked the sshd_config for X11Forwarding and other pertinent
settings, done lots of googling and found nothing that seems to point to
the problem. In my Ubuntu environment $DISPLAY=:0.0. But, as I can get X
sessions to work from other remote hosts I don't think it is a problem
with the Ubuntu end...

Can anyone point me at some areas to investigate further?

Thanks as always.

Al

--
The way out is open!