Older system, older network cards, which one is better

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Fri Sep 21 12:04:02 PDT 2007

I have an older system running LFS 6.1 (currently using kernel 2.6.16.32
P4), and I am finding the on-board SiS900 network chip to be lacking.

I have sitting around in my parts collection an HP J3171-60011 PCI LAN
10/100TX card (Intel 82557 based) and a 3Com 3C905-TX.

I've looked around, and I can't seem to find any performance information
on these two cards.  Both are well supported, but which one would be the
better choice to use?