Fonts look bad in X.org

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Sep 17 22:25:38 PDT 2007

Martin McCourt wrote:

> Noticed something interesting in my xorg logs:
> (EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)

This means that old applications that use the X core font protocol
(instead of xft) will not be able to use TrueType fonts). This should
not affect Qt or GTK, however.

BTW, could you please post the output of "ldd
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so" and the same for the qt library?

> (EE) Failed to load module "xft" (module does not exist, 0)

This module is not supposed to exist. Xft works on top of the RENDER
extension, or as a completely client-side thingy.

> I tried to 'find /usr -name "*freetype*"' it didn't find anything in
> /usr/lib/X11/modules/font!  What gives?  let me try reinstalling
> freetype *again* and see if I can't figure this out.  Do I need to
> recompile some part of Xorg to get this working now?

Yes, freetype installs only /usr/lib/libfreetype.so (so you don't need
to recompile freetype), and the needed module comes from Xorg.

>  I'm having
> problems with this as there's a perl module dependancy broken somehow
> and I can't seem to compile anything needing perl anymore!  Ack, my
> lfs is falling apart (or I'm just really good at breaking it hehe)!

Starting from scratch again is always an option.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov