Fonts look bad in X.org

paul.rogers at juno.com paul.rogers at juno.com
Sun Sep 16 09:12:03 PDT 2007

>http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6733/morebadfontsea8.jpg

I can't tell you how to fix this, but I can contribute an observation that those bad looking characters are just what it looks like if you take an image of text and reduce it's size by a 2/3 ratio.  It produces a pathological case of the "jaggies".  This implies to me that there may be a problem with using the 75 or 100 pixel fonts and the monitor pixel size.

The reduction problem is that if you reduce by an exact 50%, then every block of 4 pixels becomes one, but everything stays in relative proportion.  When it's some odd proportion then the division produces odd remainders and sometimes it becomes one pixel, sometimes two.  And that's just what I see.

Hope this helps.

Paul Rogers  (paul.rogers at juno.com)
http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/