Samba shutdown issues.

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:50:20 PDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Craig Magee <psybertao at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm using LFS 6.1 and just compiled cups-1.2.12 and Samba-3.0.23d.  smbd and
> nmbd both start fine, but there is a problem with stopping them.  While
> running, when I do '/etc/rc.d/init.d/samba status' it reports a pid for
> nmbd, and TWO for smbd.  When stopping them the script reports success with
> stopping smbd, but a 'fail' with nmbd.  When checking the status with the
> samba script(after the services have been stopped) it reports that smbd and
> nmbd aren't running, but nmbd.pid and smbd.pid are both still in the
> /var/run folder.

This may not fix your problem, but it has fixed someone's issue
before, and I keep meaning to fold it into the current bootscripts.

Because smbd and nmbd spawn multiple daemons, we went to send the TERM
signal to the parent, which will propagate it to the children in the
correct way. To do this, change the loadproc and killproc lines in
each bootscript to add a proper -p <pidfile> argument. For instance,
for smbd it might look something like this:

loadproc -p /var/run/smbd.pid /usr/sbin/smbd
killproc -p /var/run/smbd.pid /usr/sbin/smbd

Does that help?

--
Dan