Fonts look bad in X.org

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Sep 13 01:05:51 PDT 2007

Martin McCourt wrote:
> I followed the advisories of Alexander and Ken

I did my suggestion without actually looking at your screenshots. The
problem is that your fontconfig uses bitmap fonts (or toolkits use core
X fonts instead of those provided by fontconfig) instead of nice
TrueType outlines. This is exactly why BLFS puts X fonts into a
directory where fontconfig doesn't look.

In summary:

0) clean up the mess in /usr/share/fonts by deleting this directory
completely, and make sure that /usr/lib/X11/fonts is not mentioned
anywhere under /etc/fonts

1) install X fonts into /usr/lib/X11/fonts, don't mention this directory
in fontconfig configuration

2) Make (if desired) symlinks /usr/share/fonts/X11-{TTF,OTF} ->
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/{TTF,OTF}

3) Install DejaVu fonts into /usr/share/fonts/dejavu

--
A. E. Patrakov