Fonts look bad in X.org

Martin McCourt martinlmccourt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 00:09:23 PDT 2007

> From: "Peter B. Steiger" <pbs_lists_001 at bluebottle.com>
> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:51:25 -0600
> What about other images - do JPG or GIF images seem compressed or fuzzy,
> or is it just the fonts?  What about xfontsel, which should go straight
> through X without regard to whether you're using kde or xfce?

I think we're getting somewhere, JPG and GIF images look fine.  The
problem appears to be limited to fonts rendered by GTK.  My terminal
fonts in Xterm look fine, and gif/jpg/etc images appear unaltered.  I
keep thinking of different things to Google for, but so far when I try
to recompile x-y-z library with foo options this time around, I am met
with disappointment and crummy-looking fonts.

I followed the advisories of Alexander and Ken, and things are more
legible because they appear larger, but are still really ugly.  Would
it be helpful if I could provide screen shots of a terminal (rendering
nicely), my desktop widgets/browser (horrible), and a jpg/gif image
(perfect) in one screen?

I really appreciate the response I've gotten so far, folks, thank you!
 If anyone out there has ever solved this mystery, please let me know!

Martin