Fonts look bad in X.org

Peter B. Steiger pbs_lists_001 at bluebottle.com
Wed Sep 12 10:51:25 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 13:10 -0400, Martin McCourt wrote:
> I have this problem where all my fonts look really small and actually
> are pretty hard to look at.

The only thing I know to check (because it tripped me up before) is to
ensure that you enabled native TrueType [tm] rendering when you
installed Freetype... but that's part of the installation directions, so
unless you fat-fingered the sed script that enables native rendering or
you deliberately skipped that step due to a concern for copyright
issues, that's probably not the problem.

What about other images - do JPG or GIF images seem compressed or fuzzy,
or is it just the fonts?  What about xfontsel, which should go straight
through X without regard to whether you're using kde or xfce?

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY