fluxbox woes

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 11:29:43 PDT 2007

On 9/10/07, Peter B. Steiger <pbs_lists_001 at bluebottle.com> wrote:

> ... and on and on for the duration of the program, telling me about
> various windows as they open and close.  The crashing version doesn't
> get nearly that far:
> FbTk::Font: check UTF-8 convert for codeset = ISO-8859-1
> FbTk::Font m_iconv = 135865696
> ThemeItem<Font>: Warning! Failed to load default value 'fixed'
> FbTk::Font: check UTF-8 convert for codeset = ISO-8859-1
> FbTk::Font m_iconv = 135920144
> ThemeItem<Font>: Warning! Failed to load default value 'fixed'
> FbTk::Font: check UTF-8 convert for codeset = ISO-8859-1
> FbTk::Font m_iconv = 135921480
> ThemeItem<Font>: Warning! Failed to load default value 'fixed'
>
> ... and there it ends.  So perhaps there is some failure loading the
> character set, but I still don't know where to look for the underlying
> cause.

That I recognize (because I kept hitting it on fluxbox myself). When
you install the Xorg fonts, you need to rebuild the font scale and
directory listings. Normally, this is done during `make install', but
if you use a DESTDIR, it won't happen. Try this:

mkfontscale /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc
mkfontdir /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc

adjusting /usr to $XORG_PREFIX. Also, make sure the font-alias package
is installed correctly. If it is, you'll have the file
$XORG_PREFIX/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias.

If that helps, you should repeat the mkfont* commands in the other X11
font directories, too.

--
Dan