Need help with filesystems]

Arnie Stender astender at aagstender.org
Sun Sep 9 12:45:13 PDT 2007

Hi All,

    I know this should really go to the CLFS support list but that list
is rejecting my posts at the moment and I can't seem to get anyone's
attention to fix it. I figure there are probably people watching this
list that can help and since I can't start on building my BLFS till I
get this fixed I will ask here. I have just built a new CLFS system on
my AMD based hardware (according to the book) and would like to move on to
starting my BLFS packages but I can't get the new OS to boot. It kernel
panics when it can't mount root (/). I followed the hints about using
the included e2fs-progs package to create the file systems and since
ext2 wasn't working I tried to mkreiserfs (from the host) on the root
partition and that gave me exactly the same errors. I have included all
the file system options I can find for ext and reiserfs in the kernel
and I still get errors like:

EXTFSTYPE: Couldn't mount / because of unsupported optional features
(ed18000)
No filesystem could mount root, tried: reiserfs ext3 ext4dev ext2 msdos
vfat iso9660

I find it interesting that I still get the ext? unsupported features
error even when the filesystem is reiserfs. I tried to GOOGLE the
features error but didn't have any hits when I included that number.
There is a hint in the book that includes a command to show the options
that a filesystem is created with and when I used the newly compiled
mke2fs there was nothing there that was not in the provided list. The
filesystems section of my kernel config follows. Does anybody see what I
am missing? Thanks in advance for any help.

Arnie

#
# File systems
#