Martian modem driver will not compile

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 08:41:26 PDT 2007

On 9/6/07, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 04:24:24PM -0500, Wesley Platt wrote:
> > I am using a dial-up connection and when I went to compile the modem
> > driver. Make outputs the following:
> >
> > make -C kmodule/ modules
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/martian/kmodule'
> > make -C /lib/modules/2.6.16.38linux-2.6.16/build
> > M="/usr/src/martian/kmodule"  modules
> > make: Entering an unknown directorymake: Leaving an unknown
> > directorymake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/martian/kmodule'
> > make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.16.38linux-2.6.16/build: No such file or directory.
> > Stop.
> > make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> > I then went to /lib/modules/2.6.16.38linux-2.6.16/ then ran ls and
> > build seemed to exist. What can I do to fix this and what exactly is
> > build for. Thanks for the help in advanced.
> >
>  Try 'ls -l' : it's a symlink to the kernel tree, and I guess you
> deleted or moved that.  I'm no expert with out-of-tree modules, but
> I guess you need to restore the kernel tree, apply _your_ .config,
> and then run 'make oldconfig' before re-trying a clean version of
> martian.

Like Ken says, but one thing I'd suggest is just build a new kernel
instead of trying to recreate the current one. When you're done
installing, there should be symlinks in
/lib/modules/$version/{build,source} which points to the place you
built the kernel. You can move this kernel tree wherever you want and
just change the symlinks to match. The whole point of those symlinks
is to assist with building modules externally.

--
Dan