problems with gnome and xserver

Olaf Grüttner olaf.gruettner at web.de
Fri Sep 7 05:27:20 PDT 2007

I got the fluendo mp3 plugin and it works in totem now.

The big problem is gnome stability. It freezes on a regular basis within 3 minutes of working with nautilus.
Starting it again doesn't work. I can work on the console, but for X11 I need to reboot.
I have fluxbox installed and from the menus I can start xeyes and xclock. Other apps do not start !!!

I have got the feeling that something with the xserver is not quite right.
I cannot go to the console with Crt-Alt-F1.
my "|" key deletes a written command and replaces it by some other command from the book !!! totally strange !!!

starting gnome gives me
Fehler beim Aktivieren der XKB-Konfiguration.
Dies kann verschiedene Gründe haben:
- ein Fehler in der libxklavier-Bibliothek
- ein Fehler im X-Server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
- ein X-Server mit nicht kompatibler libxkbfile-Implementation
Versionsdaten des X-Servers:
The X.Org Foundation
70200000
Falls Sie einen Fehlerbericht zu diesem Problem einschicken, sollte dieser auch folgendes beinhalten:
- Das Ergebnis von xprop -root | grep XKB
- Das Ergebnis von gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd

running the required commands gives me:
xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "base", "pc101", "us", "", ""

gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd
 layouts = []
 model =
 overrideSettings = true
 options = []

my xorg.conf has "pc105" and "de" for the german keyboard layout configured

sometimes I have this error message on the command line:
xterm: Error 32, errno 2: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys

strange, because I have lfs, why should there be not enough pty's?

Any ideas?

Olaf