Konqueror causing 100% CPU usage

Frank Ianella fianella at verizon.net
Thu Sep 6 04:10:38 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 9/5/07, Frank Ianella <fianella at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> attached is the trace log.
>>

> Unfortunately, it's over my head an nothing jumps out. One thing to
> consider doing is updating to kdelibs/kdebase-3.5.7. It just hasn't
> been updated in the book, but it should be a stable increment from
> 3.5.6.

I've already tried that, to no avail. Konqueror appears to load a little
further with 3.5.7 based on the progress bar, but the end result is the
same.
> I recall that your starting kde from startx. Are you also running
> dbus? If you have all the dependencies for kdelibs and base, you
> should start a session dbus with dbus-launch.

I installed dbus when I had 3.5.7 running. dbus-launch was started via
the .xinitrc as indicated in chapter 28, again to no avail.
> If nothing really jumps out, it might be best to pull out gdb and do
> some real debugging.
>
> --
> Dan

In anticipation of this, I had compiled arts/kde with full debug.
Konqueror was started from within gdb, but I don't see anything. I don't
have any experience with gdb, so I have attched the log. Perhaps there
is something that stands out to you.

I also decided to log the output from the xserver. This output seems to
go a bit further than that of gdb. The output below is 5 lines before an
X error is logged, and continues until the x server locks up (end of llg
file). Any help in interpreting this is greatly appreciated.

konqueror: KonqMainWindow::setLocationBarURL: url =
konqueror: KonqMainWindow::slotPartActivated 0x8233140 khtml
konqueror: KonqMainWindow::slotPartActivated: New current view 0x8232af8
kparts: MainWindow::createGUI, part=0x8233140 KonqAboutPage
kparts: deactivating GUI for 0x8233140 KonqAboutPage
X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  158
  Minor opcode:  6
  Resource id:  0x82
konqueror: KonqMainWindow::setLocationBarURL: url =
kdeinit: Got EXEC_NEW 'kio_file' from launcher.
kio_file: Starting 1048
kio (KLauncher): kio_file (pid 1048) up and running.
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca
kdeinit: Got EXEC_NEW 'kio_file' from launcher.
kio (KLauncher): kio_file (pid 1049) up and running.
kio_file: Starting 1049
kdeinit: Got EXEC_NEW 'kio_file' from launcher.
kio (KLauncher): kio_file (pid 1050) up and running.
kdeinit: Got EXEC_NEW 'kio_file' from launcher.
kio_file: Starting 1050
kio (KLauncher): kio_file (pid 1051) up and running.
kio_file: Starting 1051
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca
DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-1046'
kdeinit: PID 1046 terminated.

Thanks again!