Xorg / Gnome client file?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 13:58:07 PDT 2007

On 8/14/07, Georgina Joyce <gena-j at bulldoghome.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I haven't been able to get the gnome 2.18.3 build to run.  I appear to have Xorg 7.2 running OK with an integrated KM400 Via chipset.  Although the DRI side of things are questionable.  I've tried the xf86 via video driver as well as that of the openchrome project.  But still get a complaint that the dri/unicrome_dri_so file can't be found and falls back to software dri.  But this may or may not be part of the problem because when I attempt to run gnome via gdm I get the following error:

There was a bug in our Mesa build a while back where the variable
pointing to the the DRI drivers was incorrect. Try this out:

$ strings $XORG_PREFIX/lib/libGL.so | grep /dri

It should say ${XORG_PREFIX}/lib/X11/modules/dri, but part of the path
was missing for a while. You might need to rebuild Mesa to get the
right paths setup.

> System has no X client file

GDM can be kind of convoluted when starting. It sounds like you've
selected the "Default" session. This looks in some "standard" places
to find out what to do. Here's what happens when default is passed to
/etc/gnome/$version/gdm/Xsession:

if [ "x$command" = "xdefault" ] ; then
  if [ -x "$HOME/.Xclients" ]; then
    command="$HOME/.Xclients"
  elif [ -x /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients ]; then
    command="/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients"
  elif [ -x /etc/X11/Xclients ]; then
    command="/etc/X11/Xclients"
  else
    if [ -n "$zenity" ] ; then
        disptext=`gettextfunc "System has no Xclients file, so starting a failsa
fe xterm session.  Windows will have focus only if the mouse pointer is above th
em.  To get out of this mode type 'exit' in the window."`
      "$zenity" --info --text "$disptext"
    else
      echo "$0: Cannot find Xclients"
    fi
    exec xterm -geometry 80x24+0+0
  fi
fi

So, if you choose the Default session, you need to supply ~/.Xclients,
/etc/X11/Xclients or /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients or it falls back to the
behavior you're seeing. Try picking the GNOME session from the GDM
login screen, and gnome-session will be executed instead.

--
Dan