can't build PAM

john q public public at pitchblende.org
Mon Aug 13 12:57:00 PDT 2007

Vladimir A. Pavlov wrote:

>On Sunday 12 August 2007 17:04, john q public wrote:
>

>>Ive tried 2 versions of PAM and get similar errors on trying to build
>>
>>   tst-pam_limits1.c:130: error: `RLIMIT_NICE' undeclared
>>
>>I think its due to trying this on an old LFS system but I'm not sure.
>>

>You're right :)
>
>This #define appeared before 2.6.18 (I don't have older versions and
>therefore I cannot say when exactly it appeared) and can be found in
>linux-<version>/include/asm-generic/resource.h.
>
>Try building and booting a new kernel (2.6.18 or later) and running the
>following sed right after unpacking the Linux-PAM source:
>
>sed -i 's/RLIMIT_NICE/13/' xtests/tst-pam_limits1.c
>
>The value of 13 was found in the sources of linux-2.6.18.6. You have
>to sed Linux-PAM sources becasue your kernel-headers are too old and
>they don't contain the definition.
>
>After that the testsuite should go fine.
>
>But I don't think the compiled Linux-PAM will be usable on a kernel not
>having RLIMIT_NICE definition in its source. IOW, the newly compiled
>Linux-PAM will be broken if being used with an old kernel.
>
>BTW, what kernel version do you have?

Thanks very much for the advice. Im running 2.6.18 so I'm not sure why
it wouldn't
find those includes with the proper ./configure directive (tried both
--includedir and
--oldincludedir) but sed will fix it and Im running a new kernel.
Ironically this whole
situation is the result of my filling the requirements for jhalfs in
order to build a new
LFS.

Thanks again