can't build PAM

Vladimir A. Pavlov pv4 at bk.ru
Sun Aug 12 10:11:34 PDT 2007

On Sunday 12 August 2007 17:04, john q public wrote:
> Ive tried 2 versions of PAM and get similar errors on trying to build
>
>    tst-pam_limits1.c:130: error: `RLIMIT_NICE' undeclared
>
> I think its due to trying this on an old LFS system but I'm not sure.

You're right :)

This #define appeared before 2.6.18 (I don't have older versions and
therefore I cannot say when exactly it appeared) and can be found in
linux-<version>/include/asm-generic/resource.h.

Try building and booting a new kernel (2.6.18 or later) and running the
following sed right after unpacking the Linux-PAM source:

sed -i 's/RLIMIT_NICE/13/' xtests/tst-pam_limits1.c

The value of 13 was found in the sources of linux-2.6.18.6. You have
to sed Linux-PAM sources becasue your kernel-headers are too old and
they don't contain the definition.

After that the testsuite should go fine.

But I don't think the compiled Linux-PAM will be usable on a kernel not
having RLIMIT_NICE definition in its source. IOW, the newly compiled
Linux-PAM will be broken if being used with an old kernel.

BTW, what kernel version do you have?

--
Nothing but perfection

Vladimir