usb and permissions

YvesPub yvespub at neuf.fr
Fri Sep 22 06:51:36 PDT 2006

Hello,

I recently installed an usb scanner using Sane and Xsane.
I have a problem of permissions that I don't understand.

When I launch XSane with root, there is no problem.
But when I launch Xsane with the ordinary user "yves", then Xsane
refuses to launch.
I have libusb-0.1.12 and udev-096

The user "yves" is member of the "usb" group.
The default permissions on the files which are in /dev/bus/usb/x/ (where
x is the number associated to my usb scanner) are : crw-rw----  1 root root
When I manually change permissions on these files (chgrp usb *), then
XSane launches correctly with the user "yves".

In /etc/udev/rules.d/23-usb-rules, I have the line :
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", GROUP="usb"
as recommanded in BLFS SVN for libusb package.

The /etc/mtab file shows :
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0

What's wrong with all that ?
Shouldn't the /dev/bus/usb arborescence pertain to the "usb" group and
not to the "root" group ?
Am I missing something ?

Thanks
Yves