Xorg 7.1 ugly fonts

Wilco Beekhuizen wilcobeekhuizen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 06:24:32 PDT 2006

2006/6/29, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru>:

> Wilco Beekhuizen wrote:
>
> > The fonts in xorg 7.1 look bad compared to xorg 6.9. I have this problem
> > since upgrading from 6.9 to 7.1. I followed the instructions for
> > Fontconfig, freetype and xorg exactly as stated in the book.
> > These problems happen with the default xorg.conf (from Xorg -configure),
> > and even with no xorg.conf. I checked the font paths and they exist and
> > contain almost the same fonts as in xorg 6.9.
> > The links in /usr/share exists like the book says.
> > Any ideas?
>
> "Ugly" is a very subjective word. In the past, such problems were caused
> by the
> reader not installing additional TTF fonts that don't come with Xorg. If

Yeah I know ugly is very subjective but I couldn't come up with a better
word describing it.

installing DejaVu fonts according to the instructions in the book doesn't
> fix
> your problem, please post a screenshot of a small part of the screen (no
> more
> than 10 KB in PNG or JPG with 80% quality). Be sure to include the
> application name.

Installing DejaVu fonts fixed the issues (better word choice than ugly
fonts!). So thanks!

But I don't understand why 6.9 was working fine without dejavu fonts.
Something radically changed?

Wilco