kdm setup

Dale Ogilvie kv27plx02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jun 29 03:43:26 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I'm pretty happy with my kde (3.5.3) setup thus far, but I have one problem at
the moment which I'd like some advice on.

How do you set up kdm? With my setup below I don't get the userlist on the
left hand side, just an empty list. It works OK for logging in but I would
like to be able to see the nice icons I chose for myself & the kids :-)

I've done the following:

Changed /etc/inittab from runlevel 3 to 5 (id:5:initdefault:)
Added a basic bootscript: /etc/rc.d/init.d/kdm

. /etc/sysconfig/rc
. ${rc_functions}

case "${1}" in
	start)
		boot_mesg "Starting kdm..."
		loadproc /opt/kde/bin/kdm
		;;

	stop)
		boot_mesg "Stopping kdm..."
		killproc /opt/kde/bin/kdm
		;;

	*)
		echo "Usage: ${0} {start|stop}"
		exit 1
		;;
esac

# End $rc_base/init.d/

Symlinked kdm into rc5.d as the last
script. /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S90kdm -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/kdm

This approach doesn't do anything with dbus either, I suppose the dbus kdm
hint on the lfs website is the way to go here?

Dale