Getting in a mess with pats - X11 and fonts

Andrey Voropaev voropaev.andrey at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 21 02:55:48 PDT 2006

On 6/19/06, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
> Andrey Voropaev wrote:
>
> > Well, I can't say why BLFS insists that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts is
> > outside of fontconfig path. fontconfig-2.3.2 already includes that
> > path in the /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, so one does not need to do anything
> > at all.
>
> Because if one includes /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts in the font path, bad things
> happen:

Well. If you read it carefully, then you'll understand, that you
answering the reverse question  :) I'd like to know why BLFS says that
it should be included. At least according to OP, he wanted to add this
directory because he read about it in the book.

> 1) Go to http://www.linux.org.ru/ in Seamonkey or Konqueror, and watch how the
> bitmapped Helvetica font is picked up for Russian characters. This font is
> non-antialiased, too-small for big screens, and overall ugly. Also it doesn't
> print properly on paper.

Well. This is not because the bitmap fonts are bad. Unfortunately this
is because the fontconfig is very bad. In my set up I use mostly
bitmapped fonts because I work mostly in terminals. TTF are needed
really only in browser. So, even though I don't recommend others to
have bitmap fonts handled by fontconfig, I do use and do prefer bitmap
fonts. Unfortunately it took me 2 weeks to force fontconfig do what I
want, and not what fontconfig wanted.