Getting in a mess with pats - X11 and fonts

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 07:46:19 PDT 2006

On 6/19/06, Andrey Voropaev <voropaev.andrey at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Well, I can't say why BLFS insists that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts is
> outside of fontconfig path. fontconfig-2.3.2 already includes that
> path in the /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, so one does not need to do anything
> at all.

You've gone to the trouble of installing Freetype, Fontconfig and some
TrueType fonts.  Why would you want to mess this up by using the ugly
bitmapped fonts that come with X?  And fonts.conf will not include
that path if you follow the instructions in the BLFS svn book.  I
specifically added in a configure switch so this wouldn't happen.

If you follow through the X installation and go on to the X Setup
page, the fonts will work fine.  All cases I've seen here where people
have broken fonts are because they insisted on doing it the old way
and allowing Fontconfig to use all their fonts, including the X
bitmapped fonts.  But, Your Distro, Your Rules...

--
Dan