What is the gnome up to....

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 15:49:44 PDT 2006

On 6/18/06, gena-j at bulldoghome.com <gena-j at bulldoghome.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I thought I'd looked at 12.0, perhaps not got fed up with it.  Some of the other packages they've included in the 2.14.2 dir do not have 2.14.2 as their version number so it doesn't make sense to list it but not include it within the 2.14.2 directory.  Obvously, I don't understand the criteria for inclusion.

Generally the way things go with Gnome is that if a package is
following the overall version numbering (2.14.0,2.14.1,...) then they
will usually release a new version for each of those releases, even if
it's just translations that have been updated.  This is not always the
case, as you've seen.  In that case, fetch the most recent stable
version (they are the even minor numbers: 2.12.x,2.14.x,...).  In
other cases, a package may have more intermittent releases to fix bugs
like gdm.  I believe it is on 2.14.8 right now.

The packages that follow this scheme are typically the ones that are
part of the "official" gnome distribution.  These correspond to the
ones Randy has put in the book.  Some packages don't follow this
trend, like gcalc and gnome-volume-manager.  In those cases, you have
to do some research to find out what corresponds to the latest stable
Gnome distribution.

--
Dan