Udev, libsysfs-2.0.0 (gnome-mount replaces pmount?)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 09:36:00 PDT 2006

On 6/18/06, linux23dragon <linux23dragon at iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> > > gnome-volume-manager can be told to ignore the /var/console/$user/lock
> > > issue by configuring it with --disable-multiuser.
>
> Done
>
> That did the trick, but I now have all of the hard drive partitions on the
> desktop.

It happens for me, too.  I don't think there's much you can do about
it without hacking g-v-m.  I'll think about it some more in a couple
days when I have time.  Possibly there's a GConf setting to not show
non-removable drives on the desktop.

> Can I use the fstab to help stop the automounting of unwanted harddrive links
> on the desktop?

I don't think so.  Having an entry in fstab means g-v-m/hal won't try
to automount it, but g-v-m is just showing all the mounted volumes on
the desktop, or something like that.  Look at the output of `lshal' to
see how everything is listed.

> Also, I have noticed that I cant directly umount/eject a device that has a
> automount icon/short cut on the desktop.  I can eject/umount the device with
> the application that was "auto run" when the device was first automounted.

I'm not sure I'm following you, but you should be able to right-click
an automounted volume on the desktop and unmount/eject.  However, if
an application is using the volume, g-v-m should prevent you from
unmounting.

Another option which is much less cool is to use gnome-mount from the
command line.  Here's a common scenario for me.  I have a DVD-RW with
data on it already.  I put it in, it get's mounted, some program is
auto-run.  Well, the real reason I put the DVD-RW in was because I
wanted to write to it, which won't work if it's mounted.  If I right
click on the desktop, the only option is to eject, not just unmount.
I can open a terminal and say `umount /dev/dvd', but umount will not
be happy because there's no entry in fstab.  Instead I can say
`gnome-umount /dev/dvd' and it will unmount nicely since gnome-umount
tells HAL to do the work and HAL knows about the device/volume.  I
might be wrong about the notation for the device.  gnome-mount might
expect it to he the true device /dev/hdc or something.  I can't recall
right now.

> Or It is just me needing a bit of a learning curve on the subject.

I think there are some parts of the setup that are still rough around
the edges, at least by my observation.  I think by gnome-2.16, new
versions of g-v-m and hal will have smoothed out many of the problems.
 If you have a specific issue, you can try asking on the hal list.
Most of the people there are very helpful, and the maintainer
basically wrote the whole HAL stack on Gnome, so he'll know what's up
if you ask about g-v-m and friends.

Dan