LFS does not save bash history on shutdown

Jason Aeschilman jason-lists at fatpipeinc.com
Thu Jun 15 12:51:01 PDT 2006

S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 12:24 -0600, Jason Aeschilman wrote:
>
>>> I have lost history enough times, so I'm careful to logout of any
>>> session I want to save.
>>>
>> Well, this came up because our (very old) Caldera-based system didn't
>> have this problem.  I just now tested this on Fedora and it doesn't
>> have
>> this problem either.   I'm curious what is different on LFS.  I
>> wonder
>> if their reboot command is compiled differently.  I suppose one
>> solution
>> would be to create an alias for reboot (alias reboot='reboot; exit')
>> but
>> it seems silly to have to do that.
>>

> As far as I am aware this is not specific to LFS.  I believe Debian bash
> and cygwin bash exhibits this same behaviour, if the term session is not
> gracefully shutdown history is lost.
>
> Next time I have to reboot one of my Debian servers I will check this
> out.

I don't have access to a pure Debian machine but I had my co-worker test
this on his Ubuntu machine and it also saves bash history on reboot.
Again, I'm just curious how they make this work.  I understand your
point of view, that you should lose history since you don't explicitly
exit the terminal session, but at least some distros have changed it so
history is saved on reboot/shutdown, which is the behavior I desire.
Let me know what you find out with Debian.