Starting hplip before CUPS Server?

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 12 20:28:06 PDT 2006

rblythe wrote:
> I have managed to install hplip and it's dependencies and I set the
> printer up with CUPS and printed a test page.
>
> Kernel = 2.6.12.5
> Build = BLFS-SVN (20060411) when I started
> CUPS is installed and functioning (used BLFS bootscript)
> HPLIP-0.9.10 with dependencies listed at hplip.sourceforge.net installed
>
> I read somewhere (can't remember the link) that hplip must be started
> before cups.
>
> I have looked at the /etc/inittab that was created during LFS and found
> this line:
> id:3:initdefault:     so if I understand this correctly, my system boots
> into rin level 3 (multi-user mode with networking)
>
> Looking at /etc/rc.d/rc3.d (command ls -l) I see (among other items)
> S25cups -> ../init.d/cups
>
> I managed to find the script supplied with the hplip-0.9.10 sources
> (hplip.sh) and I copied (not moved in case of error on my part):
> cp hplip.sh /etc/rc.d/init.d/hplip (done as root) and made it
> executable: chmod +x hplip
>
> Now here is where I am stuck:
> Do I only need to created this one link in rc3.d: ln -s ../init.d/hplip
> S23hplip (I am using S23 because it is before S25)
> - or - do I need to create simlinks in the other runlevels as well?
>
> I don't plan on installing the desktop environment until then end but
> when I do that and change the /etc/inittab to "5" instead of "3" am I
> right in thinking that I will have to create ln -s ../init.d/hplip
> S23hplip in rc5.d as well?
>
> My reason for asking is that I have viewed each one of the links in the
> various rc?.d directories and I noticed many of them appear more than
> once and I just want to make sure of doing this correctly.  Also, if I
> have and "S" for start to I also need a corresponding "K" for kill (stop)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> rblythe

Ideally, you should have S23hplip links in rc{3,4,5}.d/ to start in
multiuser, multiuser-test, and graphical user modes reps.  You should
also have K35hplip links in rc{0,1,6}.d/ to stop on shutdown, single
user mode, and reboot repsectively.  Runlevel 2 is questionable.  You
should have one or the other but it depends on weather the service is
dependent on the network being up.  RL2 is no network.  I don't know
much about hplip.  My question is, do you need it?  Personally I need
only the IJS portion of it, so that is all that is built and installed.

-- DJ Lucas