Answer to Evolution Icons

Peter B. Steiger wyo_wl001 at bresnan.net
Wed Jun 7 17:13:41 PDT 2006

I can answer myself, since a little experimentation turned up the answer
I was looking for.  I asked:

> When I launch X with an alternative wm like fluxbox, are there other
> services I need to launch manually so Gnome applications can find
their
> respective icons?

That would be gnome-settings-daemon, which amusingly enough is in the
much-disputed libexec path because ordinarily the end user should not
need to manually launch it.  If I launch gnome-settings-daemon in the
background and then launch Evolution, all icons (and fonts) are correct.
If I launch Evolution from fluxbox without first bringing up the config
daemon, I get those rectangles with the red "x" in them instead of real
icons.

Seems to me, this was not a problem before Evolution 2.6.  I remember it
used to run just fine with all the right icons, and launching Evolution
caused those other background services to launch by themselves.  {shrug}
Oh well, as long as I have it working I'm happy.  New GTK, new Gnome,
new Evolution... I'm a happy camper.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY