Xkb error

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 09:54:52 PDT 2006

On 6/6/06, Filip Bartmann <filbar at centrum.cz> wrote:
> After applying this patches, libxklavier, must be configured, witch this
> switches:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-xkb-base=/usr/share/X11/xkb
> --with-xkb-bin-base=/usr/bin

Good catch.  I have --with-xkb-base=/usr/share/X11/xkb in my script,
but I hadn't been using --with-xkb-bin-base=/usr/bin.  libxklavier
uses this second one to find xkbcomp and nothing else.  So, both
parameters should use $XORG_PREFIX, technically.  We can't hardcode
the /usr part.

A couple of questions because my build doesn't exactly follow the
book, particularly wrt lib/X11 vs. share/X11.

1. xkb-base is where the package xkbdata puts the keyboard data.  This
seems to me to be $XORG_PREFIX/share/X11/xkb by default, so this is
where the book's data files will go.  Can anyone confirm that?

2. xkb-bin-base is used to find xkbcomp (look in
libxklavier/xklavier_config_xkb.c for XKB_BIN_BASE).  This is
installed during Xorg Applications, and it will go to $XORG_PREFIX/bin
by default.  Confirm?

Could someone who builds the monolithic X's (Xorg-6.9.0 and
Xfree86-4.6.0) please find out where the xkb data files go and where
xkbcomp lives?  Here's what the xkb data files look like on my system.

$ ls /usr/share/X11/xkb/
compat      geometry.dir  keymap      semantics    torture
compat.dir  keycodes      keymap.dir  symbols      types
geometry    keycodes.dir  rules       symbols.dir  types.dir

Thanks.

--
Dan