Getting Used to Modular Xorg

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sun Jan 29 08:52:44 PST 2006

Previous versions of Xorg--the so-called monolithic builds--provided
some things that didn't force me to think about what was going on.  From
time-to-time over the last week, I have thought about scraping Xorg-7.0
and going to 6.9 or maybe even 6.8.2.  Then again, maybe this modular
things is the "wave of the future' for Xorg.

Enough whining!!!!!

Two questions:

I disovered this morning, trying to build wmclock for WindowMaker, that
imake is now NOT provided as a standard part of Xorg.  In fact, during
my googling I discovered that the imake clock is ticking and won't even
be maintained any more.  But wmclock is six years old.  But I digress.

I got imake installed but the build failed with:

> imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/config
> Imakefile.c:34: error: Imake.tmpl: No such file or directory

Shure 'nuf there was no <path>/X11/config directory.  However, on both
my PC and my laptop, both with Xorg-6.8.2, this directory exists and is
full of templates.  I'm going to try to copy this directory into my
current X and see what happens.  Any body got any other ideas?

Second question:  For every package I build in which the 'configure
--help' lists --x-libraries=[DIR] and --x-includes=[DIR] as options, I'm
having to add these them to ./configure or the package won't build or
acts "really hinky."  I've looked at all my symlinks and paths and they
all seem correct.  Has anybody else experienced something like this?  Or
have I just missed something so obvious that I'll lock myself in my room
for a week when someone points it out to me?

Thanks,

Dan