firmware hotplug kernel 2.6.15 ? (solution? 2.6.14?)

Dr. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Tue Jan 17 13:31:04 PST 2006

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 09:48, Rainer Peter Feller wrote:

> are all ipw-2.4-*.fw files present in your firmware dir?
Yes, they are.
Searching in the www, I found a bug-message
"http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2005/03/msg00233.html" . Somebody
wrote down  the log for the event, the ipw2200 driver is being used
succesfully:
quote
---------------
localhost kernel: ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver,
1.0.0
localhost kernel: ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2004 Intel Corporation
localhost kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:02:06.0[A] -> GSI 10 (level, low)
-> IRQ 10
localhost kernel: ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
Connection
---------------
unquote

Removing the line I included as a suggestion from Andrew Benton
"ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="firmware", RUN+="/sbin/firmware_helper" "
from the  /etc/udev/rules.d/25-lfs.rules, allows now my system to boot
withouth errors, delivering exactly the above mentioned messages (of course,
changing accordingly the driver 1.0.0 by 1.0.8).
So I got the impression, I may have solved this problem. Maybe Rainer Peter
can confirm, if he gets the same dmesg messages when booting.

Furthermore, I now get a message from "iwconfig":
eth1		unassociated ESSID:off/any
		Mode:Manged Channel=0 Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
		......etc etc
which seems to me to be quite normal ( eth0 is my normal wire connection )

I get a warning from iwconfig: "Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with
version 19 of WirelessExtension, while this program supports up to version
17. Some things may be broken..."

Perhaps somone can confirm that this  all is normal, so I can proceed with my
attempts to communicate wireless through Linux.
Again, thank you very much for your patience and help ;-)
Edgar