About kde.sh and qt.h.

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 09:08:44 PST 2006

On 1/14/06, Stef Bon <stef at bononline.tk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> some time ago I wrote an article about
> scripts qt.sh and kde.sh in de /etc/profile.d directory
> No reply. I'm curious why?
> Not interesting? Missed it? Forgot it?

Stef, I think the idea is that the Bash Shell Startup Files section is
provided as an example.  Any further customization of the environment
is in your hands.  OTOH, both GNOME and KDE have sections titled
"Configuring the Core xxx Packages."  These would be ideal places to
mention using the /etc/profile.d method of adding to the user profile.
 Sample scripts could be provided.  In the Configuring Qt section it
does tell you to add export QTDIR=... to /etc/profile.  A sample
script could be added here, but it's less necessary since the default
profile scripts will pick up /opt/*/bin.

If you make a patch to the book in an appropriate location or open a
bug, this will get more attention.  I personally have
/etc/profile.d/{qt.sh,kde.sh,gnome.sh}, but I never felt like I needed
to be told to do it.  Just my opinion, though.

--
Dan