Xorg 6.9?

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 05:41:31 PST 2006

On 1/12/06, Alan Lord <lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> I am on my own learning path with X11R7.0 and I have found that to build
> mesa you need to do something like this:
>
> Your CFLAGS should probably be set to something like:
>
> "-O2 -s -march=[your proc type]" if you want any optimisations.
>
> make linux-dri-x86 OPT_FLAGS="$CFLAGS \
> -DDEFAULT_DRIVER_DIR=\\\"/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri\\\"" MKDEP="gcc -M" \
> MKDEP_OPTIONS="-MF depend"

<snip>

> However, I think you need to make sure that you have built and installed
> most of the X sources for the proto and libraries sections first. Or
> else mesa will not be able to link to them - obviously...
>
> I have used a modified Makefile which was highlighted to me by Alexander
> Patrakov on this list. Take a look at the file here:
> http://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/packages/Xorg-modular/?root=livecd
>    to see how he has done it.
>
> It has (almost) worked for me. But my problems are more to do with
> configuration and fonts etc... You might be able to modify your shell
> script to build in the correct order...
>
> Hope this helps.

Thank you.
I did succed. I had to:
 - run the script build-from-tarballs once to build
      most of proto and lib for xorg.
 - install Mesa with the commands you provided above.
 - run once again the script build-from-tarballs

By the way, build-from-tarballs is not _my_ shell script, it is
provided by the xorg team. Indeed, I didn't understand what the
makefile you pointed me to is intended for.

On 1/13/06, Simon Geard <delgarde at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> How important is DRI to you? I should note that being an nVidia user,
> I'm not actually concerned about DRI, since the nVidia drivers don't use
> it. All I need is the general OpenGL support.

It is. I have a Radeon card.

Anyway, now it compiled cleanly.
But I've some problem. When I run " X -configure " it
hangs up. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace won't work.
I have to reset the machine with ctrl-alt-del
and I can see from the log that it was probing the many drivers
installed by the script.
I think I'll have to modify the script for my needs
and edit also the xorg.conf (that I saved from my previous
xorg 6.8.2) for various old paths.

By the way, IMHO it would be worth to have the section
for xorg in BLFS to explain the build of modular xorg 7.0
and its configuration.
Do you know if this work is in progress by someone?

Cheers
Luca