Scroll wheel not working under XOrg 7.0? (SOLVED)

Alexander E. Patrakov alexander at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 6 20:53:36 PST 2006

Simon Geard wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 19:51 +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>>Simon Geard wrote:
>>
>>>    Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>>
>>Bad, should be "ImPS/2" or "ExplorerPS/2".
>

> Ah, that was the problem - using either of those works fine. Obviously
> the 'auto' in 7.0 behaves differently from 6.8.2...

In fact, I hit this early after switching to 2.6 kernel, when I was
still using XFree86. So I really never tried any version of Xorg with
the "auto" protocol.

The thing is that X tries to figure our which protocol the device
speaks, and the kernel tries to figure out which protocol the
application expects. Thus, in your case, they agree on the bare
protocol. In my case, the mouse was jumping randomly until I forced the
protocol.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
Don't mail to patrakov at ums.usu.ru: the server is off until 2006-01-11