mailman & php questions

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 24 10:16:55 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:48:01AM +0100, Simon Scheiwiller wrote:

> I installed a newsletter with mailman and put a php script on the page
> to subscribe to the list.

The first question is: did you look at modifying mailman's default
subscription page before using a homemade php script?

> The php script sends a mail to
> newsletter-join at blablabla, then I get two mails from the mailman. One to
> confirm the subscription, and another which says I'm not allow to post
> to the list.

Just a configuration error on your part. Mailman defaults to -request.
Look at their examples and you should find what you need.

> Is there a possibility to do that automatically?

Sure. The only limitation is your imagination and knowledge of the tools
you are working with. Mailman supports a person hiding their name from
the subscriber list (generally only useful if the list admin allows
anyone to view the subscriber list). See if mailman's default
subscription page can be modded to allow that to be one of the
selections presented to people upon subscribing. This presupposes,
though, that you will use mailman's subscribe page or at least get ideas
from them. If that works, you can write a script to pull the unhidden
members' names and place them on the subscription page.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs