ALSA doesn't work

Richard rkm at usol.com
Sat Dec 23 10:25:52 PST 2006

I built a lfs-6.2 system according to the lfs book
and have added to it using the instructions in
the blfs-book-cvs-html-2006-09-02 book. I
have enabled alsa support in the kernel, which
is version 2.6.16.27. I have also inluded alsa
oss emulation both in the kernel and as modules,
neither approach seemed to help. I did not
select the deprecated oss sound system in the
kernel configuration, as explained in the blfs
book. I believe I have also compiled in the
kernel alsa support for the sound hardware that
I have.

I can't seem to get alsa to work at all, for
example here are the messages I get when I try
to run alsaconf:

alsaconf
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 34: which: command not found
modinfo: could not find module snd
modinfo: could not find module snd
modinfo: could not find module snd
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 319: which: command not found
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 322: which: command not found
Error, dialog or whiptail not found.

Is there something else I need to install to use
alsa? Or have I configured the kernel incorrectly?
Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard