Xorg install problem

Jeremy Byron rjjbyron at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 23 17:30:06 PST 2005

Andrew Benton wrote:
><snip>
> No, the creation of the symlinks failed because there were already files
> of those names in existence. Creating a symlink won't erase a file or
> folder unless you use -f (force).

He did use -f (as per instructions in the book).

I understand that using -f throughout the book could make the
instructions simpler in the edge case where someone has to fix a gimped
symlink, but it's not exactly a safe default.  It's like having 'rm'
aliased to 'rm -rf' on the root account by default.  If people follow
the instructions properly, there should be no reason to force creation
of a symlink, right?

Jeremy.