openoffice

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Dec 10 10:29:57 PST 2005

Jean-Philippe Mengual wrote these words on 12/10/05 12:19 CST:

> Ok I'll try that. But before trying I'd like to know if it's
> absolutely necessary to install apache, and then JDK. Apache isn't a
> problem, but JDK, I don't like to install it, I don't understand
> nothing. There's a binary, a binary to have a source, a source... I
> don't understand!

Note that Apache (by itself) is typically used to indicate you're
referring to the HTTP server. However, for OpenOffice Apache Ant
is required. This is completely different than the HTTP server.

And to build Apache Ant, a JDK is required. So, to answer your
question, a JDK is required to build OpenOffice. However, you're
making a bit more out of it than it actually is.

In a nutshell, here's the deal with the JDK. You can install the
binary *or* build from source. To build from source, you must first
install the binary. So, either way, you must install the binary
version. And it actually is quite simple to install the binary
version.

Whether or not to build the JDK after that is your choice.

--
Randy

12:24:00 up 76 days, 21:48, 3 users, load average: 0.59, 0.63, 0.64