Webcam problems

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Mon Dec 5 00:29:36 PST 2005

> On Sunday 04 December 2005 16:32, John Nielsen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just got a new Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 webcam which
> > should have linux support through the Phillips webcam driver
> > in the kernel. The kernel module is called 'pwc'
> >
> > Only problem is that I can't get it to work.
> >
> > The webcam setup window in kopete detects the webcam
> > correctly, but the test window remains blank. The same is true
> > for a video grabber application i tried, camstream. It detects
> > the camera perfectly but refuses to actually generate any
> > images.
>
> Ok, I'm replying to myself here.
>
> The camera IS working, but only in really low resolutions
> (160x120 and lower).
>
> Kopete doesnt even have a setting for going that low, hence my
> problem.
>
> A while back, I remember there being some problems with the pwc
> webcam module in the kernel because it needed a binary driver.
> The driver was removed and then later replaced by a fully open
> driver. All of the binary pwc functionality should have been
> reverse engineered as far as I understand and  should be able to
> do 640x480. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.
>
> Has anyone gotten the pwc module to run at a useable resolution?

Last time I looked my webcam wasn't supported well/at all although
there was a driver. I found the graphics stuff to play with video
streaming very disjointed, hard to run/compile and generally not worth
the effort.

e.g. barely available software A  depends on codecs B, C, or D &
E, and can use a binary G  with package F. Half a page of
aspirations as the docs :-/.

I trust things have improved a little. If things have changed much, let
us know!

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.