modem problem

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 05:02:18 PDT 2005

On 4/27/05, Donal Farrell <0161977 at student.ul.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone! I nearly have my modem working on blfs. The wvdial.conf
> looks good, but running wvdial just gets to the stage of getting the
> primary and secondary ip address. I have ppp support compiled into the
> kernel. I know my authentication details are right, so am I missing
> something?
>
> Here's my wvdial.conf
>
> [Dialer Defaults]
> Modem = /dev/ttyS0
> Baud = 115200
> Init1 = ATZ
> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> ISDN = 0
> Modem Type = Analog Modem
>  Phone = 1892150150
>  Username = donalfarrell
>  Password = ********
>  Stupid Mode = 1

Looks good from here. Check resolv.conf, and host.conf, adjusting as
necessary. The PPP-HOWTO has a typically verbose explanation. Chapters
10-12 get you set up, IIRC. Once he starts giving you pppd command
lines, forget it. The guy is away with the fairies and shouldn't be
allowed write at all, but universities collect those types, don't they
:-)?

--
     All the Best

     Declan.