mouse problems with nvidia

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:32:43 PDT 2005

On 4/19/05, Donal Farrell <0161977 at student.ul.ie> wrote:
> Thanks Declan. I reckon I forgot to export KDE_PREFIX after I rebooted.
> Would you know why when I am in X that commands like groupadd, shutdown,
> reboot, and init won't work?

yes.

groupadd, and the like are root only commands. Are you in X as root or luser?

Even if you start X as root, some bit of it is probably preventing you
from running root commands. Have you tried something like

su
<password>
groupadd <arguments>

generally, all the paranoid types in linux like to do nothing as root.
So they run  programs as  users. The idea is that if the program gets
hacked into, it can't do much anyhow. Probably the most extreme
example is DJ Bernstein (author of several nutty programs like qmail).
You have to add groups and users to run his stuff. They have shells
like /bin/true (which just exits with a 0 error code), so even if you
hack his program you can go nowhere with it.

If you run as root, and the program gets hacked, your whole system is
open like that other os....
--
     All the Best

     Declan.