Fwd: Dragging myself into the 21st century

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 15 17:38:06 PDT 2005

Declan Moriarty wrote:

>>This sounds like a similar "modem" that SBC/Yahoo is shipping now over
>>here in the states.  You probably want to set it up in the router mode.
>>That way it handles all the PPPoE stuff and you'll just have to set up a
>>proper gateway or DHCP on your client machines.

<SNIP>

> Thanks for that, Jason, iand the links.
>
> I'm currently buried in getting usb out of the mire here. I will come
> back to you on it.

I have to second Jason on that recommendation, forget the USB side of
it!  Get your NIC working with dhcpcd or dhclient as done in BLFS and
all should be well.  Generally, if you do a hardware reset on the
modem/router it will default with DHCP server turned on (this of course
will erase the stored username and password).  Then set up your NIC to
use a dhcp client.  Browse to the default gateway from a web browser,
and give it your username and password and the thing _should_ simply
work.  Alternately, you can configure the modem/router combo as a 'dumb
bridge' and use ppp (w/ pppoe) on your box with eth0 as the connection
device, but the first solution is much more secure as the modem/router
combo most likely provides NAT, which the usb connection may or may not
provide.

-- DJ Lucas