Keyboard

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 02:43:07 PDT 2005

On 4/8/05, "Czifra Péter" <czifi at mailbox.hu> wrote:

> Hello!
> I've got a problem with my keyboard. The Shift-e doesn't work. When I push
> the buttons doesn't happend anything. How can I correct this problem? The
> "E" works in application for exaple in vim.
>
> I use the LFS 6.0 and my keyboar is an normal hungarian keyboard, with
> special hungarian characters. These work properly.

Keyboards are set up as a  font mapped onto a keymap, and are arranged
in linux to be as complicated as possible. So different systems are in
use for console and X, prroviding an interesting situation in xterms,
and locales interfere with but don't fully govern these. You can
change these on the fly with the 'loadkeys' and 'setfont'  commands.
Then along comes unicode and screws everything up, breaks
compatability and programs, etc. The answer of internet volunteers is
to write more code, because that's more fun than correcting someone
else's stuff.. Like the obvious thing would be a joint setup ONCE
between console & X; it will never happen.

Data files in /etc/sysconfig specify which keymap and  font you set up
on boot. These can be changed on the fly. The data files are in
/usr/lib/kbd or /usr/share/kbd or somewhere like that. I'm stuck in an
inferior OS for net access for a few days  to write this so forgive my
ignorance.

Locales (a part of glibc) basically tell the system what timezone,
language and so on you have set up for. LANG is a the most commonly
set variable. Every program with it's own config file may  specify
locale settings . So does /etc/profile. ~/.bash_profile and so forth.

Fart about with these for a while, and get a keymap, font, and locale
that shows the letters important to you. Then impose them on
everything. Some  programs may complain, and you are on your own
there. I have reduced locale settings to a minimum personally. If you
have an uncooperative video setup and set tiny fonts  without
framebuffer support, stange video effects may occur.  They don't in
everyday running, when you set hust ionce.

In X, you get to choose the  keymap, fonts, locales, and then you can
write an .Xmodmap file to map certain options to certain keys . Xev is
a useful program here. That leaves Xterm, which you set up with
~/bashrc or /etc/bashrc, IIRC.

--
     All the Best

     Declan.