GCC-3.4.2 PCH failures (segmentation faults)

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Wed Nov 10 04:48:41 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 08:01:41PM +0000, Ken Moffat enlightened us thusly

>  Meanwhile, as light relief my original type of cooler can be seen at
> http://s.guillard.free.fr/OS4/Cooling/TT.jpg (yes, the fan cage was the
> total heatsinking) and my new one is somewhat similar to the
> ../COOLER.JPG picture there, although my heatsink is a bit deeper.  And
> if anyone else tells me their [expletive deleted] AmigaOne is stable
> running the other OS at 933MHz and 1.79V I might not be responsible for
> my actions :->  The fact is, linux works CPUs _hard_, as you noted
> earlier.
>
> At least powerpc cpus shut down when they overheat (ok, so recent x86s
> throttle back, which is nicer, but at least they don't burn).

I never knew Amigas had got up to 933Mhz. I presume you have a generous
helping of heatsink paste in there? That looks like the old sytyle 486
heatsink. I would like to see a heatsink with double the area of a cpu
top.

You can actually work this sort of thing out mathematically. Here are
the basic sums:

Volyage applied x current consumed = watts. Reach for the cpu datasheet.

The second one is more complicated: For a central junction, 150 C is
failure point and about 115 C (or mebbe lower) is 'instability' at which
point builds will fail. Every thermal resistance is provided in ohms.
Add the following resistances

junctions - case; case - heatsink.

These may be split even further in the datasheet. Your heatsink will be
specified in degrees C per watt. So if your cpu uses 10 watts, and you
have a 5 degrees C per watt heatsink, your core will be 50 degrees C
above ambient. Get the idea?

Don't forget ram in all of this. That could be the issue here too.
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.