Custom Boot Disk

Mike Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 04:36:38 PST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:06:40 +0100, Dr.Edgar Alwers <edgaralwers at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Sunday 07 November 2004 15:09, FloSoft wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> > i tried to create a custom boot disk (2 disks) like in chapter 3 of blfs
> > 5.1.
> > The Kernel tries to load from the floppy and it writes Loading ......." but
> > after a while, it says
> >
> > 0200
> > AX: 0212
> > BX: B200
> > CX: 5101
> > DX: 0000
> >
> > and it repeats it all the time. I don't know why he does that.
> > The commands that I use to write the floppies is:
> >
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0 bs=1k count=1440
>        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> What is this ? The book does not foresee this. I had a
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/rfloppy bs=1k count=4096 while making the empty file
> at the very beginning.
>
> > dd if=rescueimage of=/dev/fd0 bs=1k
> > rdev /dev/fd0 0,0
> > rdev -R /dev/fd0 0
> > rdev -r /dev/fd0 49152
> >
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0 bs=1k count=1440
> Same comment like above.
> > dd if=rootfs.gz of=/dev/fd0 bs=1k
> >
> Hallo FloSoft,
>
> as nobody upt to now has answered your thread, I would like at least to make
> some remarks.
<snip>

As for remarks... although I might be stating the obvious, and  maybe
this isn't an option, but have you considered getting a cheap cd
burner? Bootable cd's are infinitely more useful than floppies.  Of
course they are only good on machines with a cd-rom drive, but these
days thats most machines.

Mike