Mail Daemons

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Tue Nov 9 16:12:18 PST 2004

Daryn Neadow wrote:

>Not to open a can of worms but I've been running postfix and qpopper for the
>mail system on one of our domains for a couple of years now and never had so
>much as a hiccup.  I'm in the process of replacing & upgrading our LFS
>servers and noticed that while postfix is still being actively developed the
>most recent version of qpopper is still 4.0.5 that was released 03-2003.  I
>can't imagine that bugs etc haven't come up in the program since then.
>
>I'm familiar with both of the daemons since we've been using them for some
>time and am a little cautious about switching.  Would you recommend staying
>with the tried, tested and true or making a change?  If so to what and for
>what reasons?
>
>I've looked over the other mail daemons that are part of BLFS as well as
>qmail but so far haven't made a decision.   I definitely would still need to
>have support for smtp and pop3.  The smtp server would need to be able to
>route mail to different delivery locations based on the inbound email
>address that the message was sent to.  Currently with postfix I'm splitting
>inbound email send to one domain to server different non-connected mail
>systems.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks

My own personal virtual domain mail setup on my web server is a
combination of a few different packages:

Exim - MTA/MDA
MySQL - to handle the configuration of virtual domains and accounts in
that domain
tpop3d - POP3 server

My configuration is based on vmail-sql, with some of my own custom
modifications.  If you want a real one-stop solution, you could also
look into Courier.  The full Courier package includes support for
virtual domains, imap and POP3 access, plus a webmail interface.

POP servers don't have to do a whole lot, so I wouldn't necessarily be
surprised that qpopper hasn't been updated in quite some time.  If
you've searched the web for security advisories and found none, and your
current setup still works for you, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Jeremy