KDE 3.3.1 cannot be started by non-root user!

Paul Lauria lauriafour74 at mchsi.com
Mon Nov 8 22:49:38 PST 2004

DJ Lucas wrote:

> Paul Lauria wrote:
>
>> ...Without first being started by root! Otherwise, starting as a
>> normal user I get kicked back to the console with this error:
>> *
>> *
>>
>> KSMServer: Error listening for connections: Cannot establish any
>> listening sockets
>> KSMServer: Aborting.
>

> <Snip>
>
>> If I start it initially as root, then logout and try using my
>> udnerprivledged user, then it works fine,
>

> <Snip>
>
>> This is an LFS-unstable revision, using X.org 6.8.1. I have found
>> someone with a similar problem here;
>>
>> http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2004-September/002967.html
>>

> If it's exactly the same problem, then re-read the the xorg
> instructions in the SVN BLFS book...specifically the big note, just
> before the startx command at the bottom of the page.  If you already
> did this, then delete any previous entries in
> /etc/sysconfig/createfiles that are for /tmp/.ICE-unix and rerun those
> commands.
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/installing.html#xorg
>
> You must also be using lfs-bootscripts-2.1.2 or greater.  LFS revision
> date would have helped greatly here.  To see, take a look at the
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/cleanfs script in an editor, and see if it starts
> with the create_files() funtion.  If you are using an older version of
> the bootscripts, the syntax was different at some point for
> create_files. I'd recomend grabbing the latest official release
> (2.2.3) and going with those.
>
> -- DJ Lucas

Thank you! What happened was I forgot to follow that note there ;) You
may want to place extra emphasis in the book in the KDE section or
perhaps in the FAQ.

It's too bad, however, that I won't be able to see the fruits of your
labor...your reply helped me fix KDE. However, I wanted to clear away
old firefox libraries and start its install again because I was having
problems with it. So, I su'd to root and went in to /usr/local/include
(or perhaps it was /usr/include, not sure)...I issued an rm -r
firefox*,expecting to see the two folders there begone...imagine my
surprise and horror as I see the entire folder being recursively deleted
right before my eyes :-( Must have made a typo somwhere, probably did an
rm -r firefox * . So, having an effectively dead system, I was forced to
rebuild from scratch, sigh.

Anywho, thanks for your help, I will be sure to follow instructions more
carefully next time.