KDE 3.3.1 cannot be started by non-root user!

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 6 21:31:31 PST 2004

Paul Lauria wrote:
> ...Without first being started by root! Otherwise, starting as a normal
> user I get kicked back to the console with this error:
> *
> *
>
> KSMServer: Error listening for connections: Cannot establish any
> listening sockets
> KSMServer: Aborting.

<Snip>

> If I start it initially as root, then logout and try using my
> udnerprivledged user, then it works fine,

<Snip>

> This is an LFS-unstable revision, using X.org 6.8.1. I have found
> someone with a similar problem here;
>
> http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2004-September/002967.html

If it's exactly the same problem, then re-read the the xorg instructions
in the SVN BLFS book...specifically the big note, just before the startx
command at the bottom of the page.  If you already did this, then delete
any previous entries in /etc/sysconfig/createfiles that are for
/tmp/.ICE-unix and rerun those commands.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/installing.html#xorg

You must also be using lfs-bootscripts-2.1.2 or greater.  LFS revision
date would have helped greatly here.  To see, take a look at the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/cleanfs script in an editor, and see if it starts with
the create_files() funtion.  If you are using an older version of the
bootscripts, the syntax was different at some point for create_files.
I'd recomend grabbing the latest official release (2.2.3) and going with
those.

-- DJ Lucas